Walthamstow Wetlands involved the refurbishment of the locally listed Marine Engine House and the grade II listed Coppermill Italianate tower, along with remediation of over 200 hectares of the reservoir site as a natural park. The refurbishments to the Engine House included the reconstruction of the brick chimney as a swift and bat roost, extensions and rehabilitation of the existing structure. A new, finely detailed steel stair was carefully inserted into the Coppermill tower to transform it into a viewing platform. The civils work around the site included a number of new footbridges, surfacing, boardwalks and wayfinding.
Box House won the AJ Small Projects 2013 Award (details).
- Structural Steel Design Awards 2018 – merit
- RIBA London Awards 2018 – winner
- RIBA National Awards 2018 – winner
- New London Awards, People’s Choice Award 2018 – winner
- New London Awards, Culture & Community Award 2018 – shortlisted
- New London Awards, Mayor’s Award 2018 – shortlisted
- Brick Awards, Refurbishment Award, 2018 – winner
- Landscape Institute Adding Value through Landscape Award 2019
- Civic Trust Awards, 2019 – winner
- AJ Architecture Awards, Landscape Architecture of the Year, 2018 – Highly Commended